Thursday, January 18, 2018

Spot the deliberate mistake

GrandSon4 loves diggers. Adores diggers. Is crazy about diggers. And machinery generally. At the Botanic Gardens last week while his mummy and I were oohing and aahing over the plants GrandSon4 was attracted by the hosepipe, the socket adaptor, and the man with the blower.

So when I saw this in a charity shop in Egham ...
I had to buy it.

Of course it didn't work but that will be easily resolved with new batteries, I told myself.

Well, it was and it wasn't. The lights flashed and it made lots of noise but it didn't move or raise the digger bit. So Husband took it apart.

I wish I'd taken a photo of it in pieces. I honestly thought there was no way it would go back together. But once again I'd underestimated Husband's brilliance.

The digger bit still doesn't work. 'The cog is broken,' Husband explained. 'I tried sticking it and I hunted through all the Lego to find a piece that might fit it.' (You have to admit he's dedicated: we have an awful lot of Lego.) But it does go forwards and backwards now. 

In reverse.

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Such a shame but I am very surprised that it was even on the shelves. I was a volunteer/manager in a Charity shop and we were very strict .. But I am sure your grandson will use his imagination :-)

Furtheron said...

He'll still love it I'm sure

Well done to your husband. I remember many stressful late nights with something in bits only for it to remain in bits and telling a teary eyed child that it couldn't be fixed.

Liz Hinds said...

He loves it! Even when it didn't work.

Oh no, Graham! At least you tried!